Thursday, May 10, 2012

Little Brother about to give Big Brother a lesson...

Tomorrow, I have scheduled a meeting with my older brother.  He is three years older than I am but about 25 years behind me in technology.  We were actually discussing one of my previous posts and he was concerned about his lack of knowledge and how that might affect his child raising.  So tomorrow, we are going to start in on a series of education lessons.  To start off, we are just going to spend time looking at things that can be done and completely ignore how to do them.  Oh, in case you were wondering, yes my payment for this will be in terms of some kind of hoppy deliciousness...he has good taste I am sure he won't let me down!  The goal of meeting one and probably two will be tackle the issue of "I don't know what I don't know".  He has a pretty bad case of this and we just want to open his eyes.  Then the questions will start rolling in...and then the work can begin.  As soon as he starts to understand some of the things that can be done...we can collectively start to figure out how to stitch them into his life and finally focus on how to actually perform the task.  The discovery phase is always the most fun for me though.  It typically involves much more beer and more fun conversation than the training phase :)  




So, as part of this blog, I will use these meetings as a great example of what can be done with today's technology.  I hope by the end of it, he is able to keep up with his daughters, but even more important understand some of the tougher concepts like security and things his daughters might not think of when doing things online.  They might be able to whip around facebook better and faster, but hopefully he will know how to set permissions and what to watch for to make sure they are safe! 


This should be interesting...hopefully it doesn't turn into battle royale!  I am pretty patient guy, but I am not too sure where his patience level resides for something like this...I'll take my gloves just in case!


No comments:

Post a Comment